Thursday, April 30, 2009

Confession number 2: What the fuck happened to my bellybutton?

I used to have a nice shallow belly button. My husband on the other hand has a deep dark pit --like 20,000 leagues deep. I have often been afraid that if I stuck my finger in there that I would never see it again. Not even the likes of Captain Nemo would be able to save my finger from the monster that lurked.

However, after the birth of my son, my belly button now rivals the depth of my husband's. It plunges from the surface of my belly into an abyss. Will it become the Bermuda Triangle of navels where important items could be lost without a trace? Does my belly button have a chance of returning to its former self?

As I sit here and mourn the loss of my former umbilicus, I wonder to myself : am I really this vain? No, of course not!...Ok, well...maybe a little. Maybe I am as shallow as my previous belly button, but when you've had pretty much the same body for most of your adult life and then it undergoes this major transformation, it's a little shocking.

It's not all bad though. When the woman at the bra shop measured me and revealed that I was no longer a measly 34B, but now upgraded to a double D, it was shock and awe. My husband could not have been more proud (I'm surprised that he didn't have a status update on Facebook bragging about his stacked wife). I apparently am going to have to nurse the baby until he is 18 to keep the girls in their current state.

The truth is though, I wouldn't trade this time for anything in the world--Bermuda Triangle or not. As always, just trying to take the good with the bad. In this case, the good far outweighs the bad.

Now, if I could only find my car keys...

No comments:

Post a Comment